• Starts Jun 4
Bright Network Internship: Mechanical Engineering
Marks & Clerk
⌛ 5d left
Apply by Mar 20
- We are offering a four week paid internship, based in our Manchester office. The internship will give you the opportunity to use your technical skills in a commercial and legal setting, so you should have not only a sound technical background, but also an interest in the law and a desire to understand how technology can be applied to solve real-world problems.
- The internship is provided in conjunction with client, Cummins, Inc., a global leader in the power sector. Cummins designs, builds and distributes diesel and natural gas powered engines for on-highway and off-highway use, power generation equipment for use in a wide range of sectors including residential, industrial, mining and oil and gas, and new and emerging alternative power technologies, including electrified powertrains and fuel cells. At the heart of this organisation is a team of dependable, innovative thinkers who are extremely passionate about their company and the positive contribution they make to its success. Cummins’ core values include diversity and integrity, which have led to the creation of a diverse, inclusive and empowering environment present in every part of the globe.
Area of Responsibilities
- Most of the time will be spent with Marks & Clerk, but you will have the opportunity to spend some time with onsite with Cummins at their Huddersfield site, gaining hands-on experience with their engineers. You will also be able to visit their in-house legal team in Paddington, London.
- During the remaining time you will work with Marks & Clerk attorneys, working on client patent work, including Cummins. You may be involved in discussing a new invention with an engineer, reviewing older designs to see if a new design is sufficiently novel and inventive to be patentable, helping to prepare arguments to send to a Patent Office examiner to explain why our client should be entitled to a patent for a new idea, or maybe all three! In addition, you may also help negotiate and/or prepare some agreements concerning the development or commercial exploitation of inventions. There will also be the opportunity to engage with our Training Academy.
- We are looking for students studying Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related subject, who have excellent communication skills, meticulous attention to detail and a natural curiosity to understand how things work. We are open to applications from students who are studying an undergraduate degree, Masters or PhD. This internship is most suited however, to those who are nearing the end of their studies, as for the right person it may lead to an interview for our graduate training academy. It is highly likely you have never considered a job as a patent attorney, so this is a great way to find out about a different career path.
- 4 week internship, paid at National Living Wage
- Social activities
- Modern city centre office in Manchester