Bioinformatics Analyst - 12 months internship – Medical Genomics Research (MGR) Group - UK
As a Bioinformatics Analyst Intern, you will have the opportunity to gain real-life work experience in a fast-moving environment and help to solve problems and issues that are relevant to cancer complexity in the Medical Genomics Research (MGR) group. Our goal is to develop cutting-edge prototypes and tools to identify clinically relevant findings and molecular biomarkers in cancer Whole Genome Sequencing and Whole Transcriptome Sequencing. In addition to impactful work, we will offer programmatic benefits such as professional development, team building, engagement opportunities with our company leaders and the chance to connect to our mission through meaningful volunteer experience.
Area of Responsibilities
- Apply analytical and/or research skills to interpret cancer RNA and DNA data from multiple sources, develop analysis tools and structure a findings report (supported by a mentor/project manager).
- Combine new methods for high throughput sequencing to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome.
- Develop and maintain awareness of advances in cancer research.
- Work in a constructive environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to meet shared goals.
- Deliver timely results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- For a Masters or PhD student in bioinformatics, computer science, Natural Sciences or a related field.
- Familiarity with BASH and R (preferred ), or/and Python is required.
- Familiarity with bioinformatics and genomics/Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) is required.
- Experience with processing or analysing cancer NGS datasets is a big plus.
- Highly literate and have good writing skills in English
- Able to produce well-presented, readable, organised documents
- Outstanding listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Positive working attitude
- Organisational skills: ability to prioritise own workload; work to deadlines and under pressure
- Eager to learn new things quickly
- Show enthusiasm and motivation to perform, having a “Can do” attitude