2023 UK Industrial Placement (Infrastructure, Bristol)
Now more than ever, our environment and communities need to be made more resilient in the face of climate change. Working on every facet of development, our civil engineers aim to solve this by offering the opportunity to create better cities, resilient infrastructure and to deliver this in a sustainable and efficient manner. Together with our experts, you’ll play a part in safeguarding natural resources. Using sustainability as a focus, you’ll be creating economic and social growth for generations to come.
What are we offering?
We have an exciting opportunity for the role of Industrial Trainee in the Infrastructure Team based in Bristol. The team is part of Mott MacDonalds Buildings and Cities (BNC) Unit, which nationally provides a wide range of diverse and transferable cross-sector skills in five key sectors;
- Built Environment
Area of Responsibilities
Successful candidates would benefit from a placement of six to 12 months, during which, they would have the opportunity to work on a range of exciting projects for a diverse range of clients and sectors. Previous industrial placement students have been involved in such opportunities as;
- Energy – Contribution towards the front-end and detailed engineering design for major electricity transmission infrastructure schemes, including system upgrades, the connection of renewable energy and interconnectors. Students have previously benefited from opportunities for site visits and routing/siting walkovers.
- Transport – Feasibility, preliminary and detailed design of highways schemes both on a local and national scale.
- Highways schemes are not limited to just roads, and can also include cycleways, public realm improvements, and accessibility design. Site experience may also be available, previous placements have included assisting the onsite supervisor on a scheme constructing a new motorway junction undertaking walkovers, reviewing design plans, and identifying health and safety concerns.
- Water – Contribution to high level drainage design, sizing and placement of attenuation ponds and tanks, and design of drainage bunds.
To join us for an industrial trainee placement you must be studying an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering that incorporates a placement year. If you are in the final year of your undergraduate studies, or are studying towards a postgraduate qualification, please apply to our Graduate Programme.
In addition, we are looking for students with the following characteristics:
- A methodical approach to problem solving
- The ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail with the ability to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
- A proactive and questioning mindset