2023 UK Industrial Placement: Civil/Structural Engineering
To avoid missing out on this opportunity, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible as we will close when the positions have been filled
Our industrial placements are for a period of six to 12 months, during which, you will have the opportunity to work within one of our sectors.
Now more than ever, our environment and communities need to be made more resilient in the face of climate change. Working on every facet of development, our civil/structural engineers aim to solve this by offering the opportunity to create better cities, reduce poverty and improve health.
Our Energy Unit delivers projects to a wide range of clients across the energy sector, specifically within the defense, existing and nuclear new build nuclear, and wider power industries. The projects cover the full life cycle of structures – feasibility, concept, detailed design, asset management and life extension of existing structures. As a industrial placement student within the energy unit, you will have the opportunity to get involved in these exciting projects in the industry and to develop engineering knowledge across structural engineering and the wider civil aspects too!
Area of Responsibilities
We’re looking for highly motivated students who are passionate about learning from our industry experts. You’ll be given the opportunity to gain invaluable experience working on some of the exciting projects that are helping to shape tomorrow’s world.
We understand that to put your learning into practice it’s important that you’re given an accurate insight in to our innovative industry. With enough work placement experience under your belt you can get just that. Think of it as a worthwhile investment towards your future career.
We place a lot of emphasis on giving you a realistic view of our world, so you can decide if it’s the industry you want to work in.
Many of the employees that we recruit for our graduate schemes are students that have made an impression during their placements with us, so remember, this could be the start of a promising career for you with Mott MacDonald.
To join us for an industrial trainee placement you must currently be at University or looking for a pre-university placement.
You’ll be working with graduates, experienced professionals, and other students so a placement with us is the perfect opportunity to learn from a variety of people while understanding our values and culture. It’s also a great chance to get involved with real projects while gaining relevant experience.
We do not have a formal structure for our placements, so you can really make the role your own. The more you get involved and the more questions you ask, the more you will gain from your experience with us.
As well as having one of the specific degrees listed above, we are looking for students with the following characteristics:
- A methodical approach to problem solving
- The ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Excellent written communication and attention to detail with the ability to demonstrate accurate technical drawings and good report writing.
- As a living wage employer, we offer our students a competitive salary which is above the living wage threshold - we ensure that you’re given a salary you deserve.
- Contributory pension up to 7% of your salary: we have the best people on our team, and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs during the year you are with us.