12 month Junior Research Scientist Level Industrial Placement
🚀 Placement Program
- Reporting to the EU NPD Research Manager, the Junior NPD Scientist works within the New Product Development Team and supports new and existing product development projects. The role involves laboratory work and maintaining the NPD Laboratory in compliance with GLP/GMP rules and regulations.
Area of Responsibilities
- Collects samples and prepare products for testing and trial runs.
- Designs and executes basic experiments to test a hypothesis.
- Develops and implements experiments while preserving a safe and accident free laboratory environment.
- Supports scale-up of Product trials at our EU sites (including co-packers).
- Working with Research. Scientist 2 and NPD Managers to support trial planning by completing and circulating trial request forms, booking time in manufacturing and ordering trial materials to arrive on site.
- Attends trials, takes measurements during the trial, coordinates inputs from other functions, and produces a final trial report for circulation to key stakeholders.
- Determines the materials and formulations costs for a given finished good.
- Produces bench scale samples to support Product development.
- Execute sensory & consumer testing - qual & quant.
- Performs analytical testing to support project work and factory technical support projects.
- Produces reports that detail methodology and conclusions/recommendations (includes sensory testing, shelf life testing and simple laboratory analysis, e.g. moisture, pH, BRIX).
- Support Sales and Marketing by producing and sending customer samples on time.
- Plays a key role in maintaining the laboratory & storerooms to the appropriate hygiene and housekeeping standards.
- Maintains the service/calibration records of all lab equipment, including training and repairs.
- Maintain stocks of critical raw materials and samples.
- Creates and maintains Lab SOPs and ensures documentation alignment with the global NPD teams & R&T.
- Applies logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems and proactively address issues.
- Keeps manager informed both verbally and in writing of issues within assigned area of responsibility; escalates issues beyond the scope of authority as needed
- On track to achieve an expected “A” Level / HND / BTEC / Degree results educated in a science/engineering subjects (or in a Food/Nutrition related subjects)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook; SAP systems etc..
- Some knowledge of product development and processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work under supervision, unsupervised and prioritise the workload to meet project objectives.
- Adaptable and able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong organisational skills
- Driven individual who is willing to learn and progress their career within NPD.
- Comfortable presenting to their NPD colleagues.
- Entry-level role, so no prior salaried NPD work experience is required. However, experience in product development at university/summer internship is preferred but not essential.
- Passion for new product development and design. (Focus on sugar or beverage based development desired but not essential).
- Interest in building a career within the Food or FMCG Industry.
- Basic knowledge of food manufacturing, from ingredients & packaging materials to processing, as part of a university course.